A timely reminder for businesses to ensure they create a responsible environment to ensure a successful, enjoyable and claims free Christmas function.
The annual work Christmas function is a great opportunity for staff and management to relax and let their hair down after a long, hard and often tiresome year. Whilst the majority of functions are a huge success, unfortunately there are the odd few that turn sour.
To best protect your business you should consider the following risk management tips:
- Serve alcohol responsibly. If you are hiring people to serve alcohol at your function check if Responsible Serving of Alcohol (RSA) license is required and if so, ensure the people you hire hold one.
- Ensure all employees have access to suitable transport to get them home safely.
- Monitor your employees during the function and be prompt to intervene if required. You should send employees home early or stop serving them alcohol if necessary.
- Remind all employees prior to the function of your policies regarding acceptable behaviour.
- If your function includes families, ensure the venue is suitable and safe.
- Check with your Public Liability Insurer to confirm if cover is provided for the function
- If your Public Liability Insurance is placed via Planned Cover then your policy will, in most cases extend to provide cover for Christmas functions, subject to the terms and conditions of the policy. If your function is a little out of the ordinary or involves activities that would be considered high risk such as zorb balls or high rope courses etc you should check with your broker to ensure there are no policy conditions/exclusions that reduces or removes cover.
- Have an Employment Practices Liability policy in place. This type of policy can provide protection to your business for:
- Harassment claims
- Discrimination claims
- Other employment related issues
- Be aware that your business can be held vicariously responsible for the actions of your employees.
- Ensure people with special dietary requirements are adequately catered for.
- Most importantly relax and enjoy yourself.
If you have any concerns about your upcoming function, contact your broking account manager to discuss.